Home › Forums › Archives › Mobile Technology › iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch › Your favorite iPhone apps?
- This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 5 months ago by Marcia Bulger.
February 20, 2008 at 12:43 am #28361
What are your favorite iPhone apps?
Here are a few of my favorite non-jailbroken apps:AppMarks – It's got a nice UI that simulates the springboard and gives you a directory of iPhone-ready web services. (screenshot)
Hahlo – This is an iPhone-specific interface to Twitter (my favorite lifestream service).
Facebook – One of the first (and nicest) iPhone adaptations. Gives you good access to your Facebook profile and friends.
Meebo and/or Mundu IM – I'm torn between these two nice IM products. They both have a pretty nice interface on the iPhone, but neither is perfect. What really bugs me about browser-based IM is that it won't just run in the background full time. (Meebo screenshot, Mundo screenshot)
All of these links are iPhone specific. If you browse to them with a regular brower, it won't really look right.February 20, 2008 at 12:55 am #167328DavidParticipant
I really like FlyTunes, and short of that, Orb, as well as the iPhone WeatherBug app.December 18, 2008 at 7:30 pm #167336ZharkoMember
my absolute favorite at this moment is the storyz app
it has very simple to use interface, and it also looks cool 🙂December 25, 2008 at 2:42 pm #167337vorushinMember
ScribbleDecember 25, 2008 at 2:43 pm #167338vorushinMember
And preinstalled Google Maps, of courseDecember 25, 2008 at 8:13 pm #167327FanaticMember
Google Maps is awesome, especially now with the Street View. The Google app is great too, with voice-activated search. And Google Earth, though it's not really practical, it's still amazing fun and surprisingly fast!
I also like Things for clean, straight-forward to-do list manager. Midomi, both for identifying songs on the radio and for just playing around with friends. Urbanspoon is a fun way to find nearby restaurants. Now Playing is the best app for movie times, reviews and locations. AirMe is great for sharing photos on Flickr, Picasa or Facebook. NewNewsWire is a super little RSS reader.
And then there are the games…
These are all awesome games, though I had to pay for many of them:
- Bejeweled 2
- Monkey Ball
- Cro-Mag Racing
- Live Poker
- Fieldrunners (great if you like Tower Command)
Besides my home screen, I've got three screenfuls of apps now. I've cut it down from four. 😉April 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm #167339kelseycMember
I have an iPod touch, but my favorite apps are:
- Lose It!
I'm hoping to upgrade to an iPhone when my plan changes in October.September 15, 2009 at 12:30 pm #167332
I had to replace my cell this week, so I gave in and got an iPhone.
This thread hasn't had any new posts for awhile and favorites tend to change….so…who'd like to tell me what their favorite apps are at the moment?September 16, 2009 at 5:22 am #167325
Yes, my faves now have changed. Here's what I'm currently using regularly:
- Shopper – A great little (FREE) app for managing your shopping list. As I think of things I need to buy, I add them to my list. Works really well for grocery shopping, but also for other things, as you can have multiple lists.
- Things – this one is a paid app, but gives you a really clean to-do list management. There's also a desktop version for the Mac.
- NetNewsWire – Another freebie, this one is an RSS reader. You have to configure it on their web site, but works pretty well.
- Trillian Astra for iPhone – Note that this is currently available via closed beta. But nice!
- Facebook – nuff said.
- Mint – Think of Mint as a free, web-based version of Quicken. Interesting, since Intuit just bought them yesterday!
- TweetDeck – My favorite Twitter client. Free, and also has a companion desktop app that uses Adobe AIR, so it runs on multiple operating systems.
- Air Sharing – This is a paid app, and I don't use it regularly, but it essentially makes your iPhone accessible via wifi as a regular “drive” to your other computers. Very useful for transfering files, when you need to do so. Sad that it only works using wifi, and not via USB.
- Scrabble – This is another paid app, but it's fun because it's multiplayer and it works with the Facebook app, so you can play against your friends there, even if they don't have an iPhone!
- Trails – Another paid app. This one requires a 3G or newer iPhone, as it uses the GPS capabilities to track your hikes, walks, runs, bikes, etc. You can then upload the resulting route to one of a couple web sites. Very slick.
- foursquare is a free app that doesn't really serve a purpose (but hey, it's free!). It let's you earn “badges” for going out to places and checking in. You can compete against your friends. Sadly, I have no friends on foursquare. 🙁
- Bookmarks is a free app that gives you access to all your Delicious.com bookmarks. Nice!
- Google is a free app that gives you voice search and access to a slew of useful Google apps.
- Flickr let's you browse, upload and tag your Flickr photos. Useful if you're a Flickr nut like me.
- Urbanspoon is a fun way to find restaurants and bars. Shake it, baby!
- What's On? is the best TV guide I've seen. Very slick interface. Remembers your local station settings.
There are a bunch more, but those are the ones I use pretty regularly. If you have a specific category you'd like suggestions for, let me know!September 16, 2009 at 5:31 am #167333
Oh, how I wish I had Trillian Astra…but I guess I'll just have to wait. Just today I saw the app was submitted mid-August for approval but they have not heard anything yet on when/if it will be.
Thanks for the suggestions on the others, there are a couple in there I will definitely check out!September 16, 2009 at 5:42 am #167324
Only a couple??? Seriously… they are good! 🙂September 16, 2009 at 6:13 am #167334
Breakdown on the 16 apps your listed:
- 3 paid ones I don't have and probably won't consider since I'm cheap (Things, Air Sharing, Trails)
- 1 paid one I already have (Scrabble)
- 1 beta I can't have yet (Trillian Astra)
- 3 I already have (Flickr, Facebook, TweetDeck)
- 1 I have an app for already (RSS Flash G as it configures easily with Google Reader and doesn't need website setup)
- 7 remaining apps listed
OK so it's more than a couple 😉 I'll waste some time at work tomorrow and give them a look LOL! Will let you know what I think of them.September 21, 2009 at 5:28 am #167330RabidKittenParticipant
I, um, I like the one that makes your iphone sound like a lightsaber! *giggle* Weeee!October 4, 2009 at 4:52 pm #167340iphonegirlMember
my favorite Iphone app is the new ITIM social networking app, which allows me to send and receive PHOTOS and text messaging:) finally got the app I have always wanted:)October 4, 2009 at 5:30 pm #167326
I found another neat one last week. It's call “Bump” and it lets you bump hands with another iPhone user to exchange contact info. It's free, but the downside is that it only works with other iPhone users, and they also have to install Bump.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.